Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Life is precious




If I have learned one thing since moving back to Utah it is that "LIFE is PRECIOUS"!  Being around my grandparents and seeing them in this last phase of their lives has taught me to ENJOY every moment with them, with my children, with Shannon and with all my family and friends. This life is a choice of Joy and happiness or to sit and be depressed and feel discouraged.  Which some days I have truly chose to do.  I watch my grandparents and how they just go day to day enduring the aches and pains of aging and yet they do it most days with a smile and not a complaint.  These pictures are priceless to me.  On this day I drove my Grandma and Grandpa to see my Uncle Gord.  He is my Grandpas younger brother and he is dying of cancer.  A few things I wont forget about this day.
1. Getting lost and Grandpa getting frustrated. Grandma got us to the house next door and then we noticed a sign on the house East of that one, then we knew that was the house.  At least Grandma got us that close but Grandpa said a lot of "Good hell Margaret's" on this drive.:)
2. I learned that this life is precious and that there are many who have touched my heart for good.  Uncle Gord and his sweet wife Chlonelle were special people.  They always had a big hug and made me feel so special.  Even when I hugged him goodbye he had tears in his eyes and that was so sweet.
3.  As he hugged my grandma goodbye he told her what a wonderful family we have.  He cried as he expressed how blessed we are to have such a great family.
4.  We do have a great family.  Not all have the same beliefs and not all seem to get together often but our grandparents LOVE their kids no matter what their choices are and no matter those differences they still bring their family together and have created traditions over the years.  Fish dinners, Family trips, and a cruise for their children every year for their anniversary.  They of course can't go on cruises anymore but they create one right here in Utah. My grandma always finds a creative way to put on all these events and she loves to share her talent of poetry. Grandpa loves to share his advice and he always has that to give.
5. My grandpas tender emotions as we drove away...

I just wanted to write these thoughts down for my future generation.  I want them to know how much I cherished the time I had with my grandma and grandpa Hansen.  From a small child until now at the age of (almost) forty, I am so thankful for their LOVE and their EXAMPLE!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy, I'm so glad I was prompted to get on here and see that you made another post. As I read, and tears flowed down my cheeks I see how important it is to cherish these times we have,even tho' we go through aches and pains in our old age ") we also have joy and happiness and we are thankful that we have them! Gosh Thank You, What a Sweet Reminder and Post,you will have some great Stories to Tell ")