Monday, October 3, 2011

Legacy of Love

      Today I sent this off to my grandma and her sweet sisters. Their is 7 of them and 5 of them are still living. Twice a year they get together for a "Sisters Party".  As they are now all in their 80's and 90's I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings with them. They are so very dear to me.
                                                  
Dear Grandma and all your crazy sisters,
            I have been thinking about writing to each one of you for many months now. It was about 6 months ago that I was driving home from taking my kids to school and was filled with this great love for my posterity.  I can’t explain the feelings, other than that it was a joy that brought me to tears.  I thought of my great grandmothers who crossed the plains. Who prayed and depended on personal revelation. Who sacrificed even their hair for building the kingdom. Because of them I find faith in serving in church callings. I desire to do all I can as a member of the church and am thankful to belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I then thought of the hardships of not having telephones as I talk to my mom everyday if not sometimes two or three times.  Oh how I love my momma.  I am so thankful for her testimony and her desire to love and always look for the good in others, for her love of the kitchen, and her strength in adversity. She is my best friend.
             My thoughts then turned to Grandma Davenport. She is dear to me because of her “home body” ways.  As I read her history I learned that she loved to be home.  I too love being home.  What treasures she had in all her daughters.  Each one of you is so special.   You leave a legacy of love, laughter, song, talents, and plain old FUN!  As I raise my girls and my one boy it is my prayer that I will keep this legacy alive. I want them to know of our family.  I want them to carry on traditions of sister’s parties, of fish dinners, of using their talents for family gatherings.  You each carry a special place in my heart.  You may not know how much you have influenced my life.  You truly play a role in who I am today and what I hope to be.  Your example makes me want to be a better me.  I love you very much and want to say Thank you for being YOU.
            Grandma you will never know of your influence in my life.  I am so thankful for your love and friendship.  I am thankful for your tender heart, gentle wrinkled hands, and even for your fat ankles that I inherited.  I hope to be just like you…  I am so blessed to have you and grandpa.  You make me feel so special.  You always know what to say. You truly live each day to the fullest- even when it feels like the pits.  I will always count you as one of my greatest blessings.
            I know that a loving Heavenly Father put us in families for a purpose.  He wanted us to lean on one another. To be strengthened by one another. To learn how to get along, so we would feel safe in this world of trials and difficulties.  I see how you do this with one another. I am thankful that he placed me in this family so I could be influenced by such special women.  I love you and pray for you often. Live your days to the fullest and know that I love you.
          Thank you for this great legacy of love,
                        Tricia

2 comments:

Adams said...

As I read this post I kept going back to your VT lesson on our histories. I really enjoyed that picture you had of the 5 women, from your mother and back and their stories (I believe it was a present to Brynlee for her baptism?). What good stalk you come from!

Anonymous said...

What a Sweet,Tender Tribute to the Most Important Mothers in Your Life. You're so Sweet Yourself, One day You will be reading about YOU from your daughter's, The traditions of Great Mom's Will continue Cuz...You're Great!