Friday, August 31, 2012

Make it a GOOD one back 2 school Bash...


So here it is the night before school and all through our home, 
the children are fighting and mom hopped in the car and went on a rome... 

The story is that I had spent several days preparing my thoughts, running around town to make things cute for the theme of our traditional Back to school Bash. Our theme for this year is "Make it a GOOD one". I wanted this night to be special and for the kids to feel "good" about a new year of school.  It started out really "good" as we ate finger lickin good chicken nuggets from the kids favorite place Chick-fil-A.  Then we had fruits and veggies that are good for us and...


chocolate milk that does the body good.  
I got the idea to make this our theme after winning this...


I had a friend call me and tell me to go on her friends blog (see here) http://pixbyemily.blogspot.com and comment on her talent.  WOW!  This was such a FUN surprise to be a winner.  She worked in all the colors of my home and what a great reminder it is to all of us. I LOVE it!!!
 Thank you Emily for sharing your talents with our family.




The kids really liked the "goodie" bags that were a reminder to not be ashamed to be "goodie goodies" and to remember that it is what is on the inside that matters most:)

After the dinner the kids went into the living room for a little lesson.  As we started our kids would not listen and I became so frustrated that I hopped in the van and left.  I felt like the adversary was working very hard in our home.  I desire to teach my children to choose good and to make good choices and HE knew I was about to talk with them about this.  It was so strong.  I drove away angry, frustrated and sad. I just cried and prayed that we could get the spirit in our home so we could teach our children and have a fun night as a family.  When I returned home Morgan was in tears and she just hugged me and told me how thankful she was for my example.  Syd was also very sweet and had gathered all the kids together to try it again.  Shannon had felt so discouraged that he went to a priesthood meeting just so he could feel ready to give our kids back to school blessings.  I was happy that he was going because I knew that it would benefit all of us if he did.  Sure enough we had a fun lesson and game while daddy was gone and then he came home with a smile and a hug and a kiss.


 We all gathered in the van and drove over to my grandparents to celebrate my grandmas 87th birthday. She is such a sweet lady and I love her so much. Because Grandma Joy and Papa were up here for a visit we thought it would be extra special for the kids to have them all be there for the kids blessings. It really turned out to be a very special night.  I am so thankful for the power of prayer and that we didn't give up when it would have been easy to do.






  

3 comments:

Adams said...

Oh Tricia....I know that is not the first time you have had to "get away" and I'm sure it won't be the last but I love that every time you do that, your kids have humbled themselves. I don't think you have ever told me of a time that you have had to leave like that where when you came back that something wonderful didn't happen. Good, good Momma. Even you having to get away is a teaching experience for them.

Rebecca E. said...

I appreciate this post so much Tricia! Sometimes I feel like we work so hard to do good things for our kids and they don't fully understand all the effort that goes into teaching, loving, and giving them fun things to do! Thank you for showing me that it's not always perfect for others too and to NOT give up on doing GOOD for our kiddos! Loved this, thank you.

The Bass Family Pond said...

GOOD, GOOD, GOOD It's always so GOOD! GOOD, GOOD, GOOD When we don't give up!It's GOOD, GOOD, GOOD. Oh! Did I mention it was GOOD? ") Love you and your examples, through our blogs we really can learn and grow from each other which is GOOD ")