Saturday, November 26, 2011

Our last trip before we head West...

Our first stop was to Far West where we walked this sacred ground.  This is where Joseph Smith relocated from Kirtland and began to set up the church headquarters.  This area grew rapidly. With 8,000 Saints. 2 hotels, 3 grocery stores, a school house, a church, 150 homes, etc...  You would not be able to picture it to look like this while standing on this ground as there is nothing there now.  They were only there 8 months- but it was here that the Prophet  recieved many important revelations.  Persecution and hostilities soon developed and forced the saints to leave. 





These are the 4 cornerstones that were set for the Temple that was to be built before the Saints were forced to leave...



As we took this photo we took a minute to reflect on the feelings we were feeling.  I love this man of mine.  I was so thankful that he wanted to take us on this little trip before we head West.  What a special way to end this chapter in our time here in Oklahoma.


Daddy and his oldest daughter... Love this picture!



Can you tell how SCARED our Sofie girl was?  She wasn't sure about this crowd in downtown Kansas City.  They have a HUGE production the Eve of Thanksgiving as families crowd around the downtown Plaza to watch as millions of lights light up the city...  Very Fun even though our kids couldn't wait any longer to get to the hotel for a swim and the fact that we hadn't had any lunch and it was now 6pm and one more hour before the lights would turn on.


A news lady gave the kids these glasses that light up.  My camera didn't capture how cool they were.



This was in front of the LDS Visitors Center where we learned about the importance of families.  Our kids were so sweet as a Sister Missionary bore testimony of the blessings of Temples and Eternal families.  I felt the spirit very strong and was so thankful for my children and my husband and the blessings we enjoy together.


This was at Liberty Jails vistors center.  This cute Sister Missionary is from Holiday Utah and is in my Mission Presidents ward from way back in the day...  Small world!  Look at those 3 future Sister Missionaries:)





This was very neat to hear the experiences of our Prophet while he stayed in this small, cold, jail cell for 6 months.  But he never appeared to be discouraged.  I asked myself how could he and the early saints be such a Happy People and I know it was because they truly were pure in heart with one purpose.  Their desire was to serve and to build the kingdom.  What I hope to take from this experience is to live my life just as they did.  With a greater desire to burn within me to be on the Lords errand and to serve my family and friends...


We learned of the upcoming Temple that is being built in the nearby area...



So we drove by on our way home and it was well worth it.  Such a Beautiful Blessing.

2 comments:

Adams said...

Anna's husband, George, gave me the love for Doctrine and Covenants 121 that I have today. In this jail was where Joseph needed this revelation so badly. Praise to the man!

The Bass Family Pond said...

I have been to Far West and the Liberty Jail and know of the sweet spirit that is felt while on these sacred grounds. I love this post, it brings back such memories of being their with my three oldest and Bob. I want to go with Max before he goes on his mission. And YOU Missy, I have witnessed in you the desire you have to be on the Lords errand and the service you give to your family and your friends, Such an example to me my Friend, I Love you and will Miss you dearly. Always in My Heart....